Freemius is a monetization, analytics & marketing automation platform for digital products.
One can use it to sell WordPress plugin, WordPress theme and SaaS products. It helps you concentrate on your core business.
It has an impressive feature list
Setting up freemius plugin on your WordPress website has the following challenges
- Plugin data sync between your WordPress website and freemius.com is manual process.
- It's error prone and slows you down.
- Creating pricing table is difficult.
- You need to write custom code.
- A multi-plans pricing table increase complexity by multi-folds.
- Multi-currency support on pricing table is difficult.
- Multi-licenses and multi-duration support to pricing table is difficult.
- Need to write custom code to allow plugin trials on pricing table checkout.
- Need to manually copy your plugin's reviews from freemius.com.
- Write custom code to display reviews on your website.
- Need to manually copy money-back guarantee data.
* Manually update the plugin installs count for your plugin with count from freemius.com.
- Need to create a freemius secure payment badge.
WordPress plugin/theme developers often sell more than one product on their website.
Setting up and maintaining them on your website soon becomes unmanageable.
I've experienced these challenges and hence decided to create this toolkit. I no longer spend time on mundane tasks.
I've benefited the following using it
- Maintain data at freemius.com & sync it to my WordPress website. No more manual updates.
- Agility to try different prices for plans on freemius.com and reflect it on my pricing table.
- Get product structured data out-of-the-box. Google is happy!
- Try different plans on the pricing table.
- Maintain plan features on freemius.com and sync it to my website.
- I forget setting up money-back guarantee on freemius.com often. With this plugin I can catch this issue.
- Out-of-the-box switches for currencies, licenses and durations on a pricing table
- Sync select reviews from freemius.com. Then I use the review listing shortcode shows them.
- Use the webhook listener for my internal workflow.
A license price depends on the following factors
- Currency. Freemius supports usd, gbp and eur as currencies
- Site license type. For example a single site, two site, 5 site, unlimited sites.
- Duration of the license. Freemius offers licenses for a month, year and lifetime duration
- If the pricing table involves multi-plans, a license price will also depend on the specific plan
The combinations of the above factors makes the creation of pricing table a complex process.
Then you need to worry about making
- A responsive pricing table.
- Integrating freemius plan features
- Make a currency switcher, that would change the price in each column of the pricing table to reflect the
- Make a license type switcher, if you need to show the pricing table for a default duration.
- Make a duration switcher, if you need to set the pricing table for a default license
- If you are creating a multi-plan table, then you need to use a license and duration switcher in tandem per plan.
Got your head spinning already? Imagine the effort needed to get this working?
Fear not as this plugin offers two easy-to-use shortcodes
- A shortcode involves a single plan
- A shortcode involving multi-plans
This plugin helps you create a pricing table in minutes. Adding custom style to pricing table is easy as we use css-variables.
Review adds credibility of your brand and can influence consumer decision.
Freemius does a great job of following up with your plugin buyers for a review.
The precursor is that you have a great product and a fair communication with the customer.
This plugin syncs selected reviews from freemius into your website.
List the reviews on your product page using a shortcode.
Installs Count Social Proof
Another way to build trust and credibility is to show number of installs for a plugin/theme.
More the number of installs, better is the credibility.
When it comes to plugin installs, "the more the merrier"
Freemius allows you to setup a money-back guarantee for a plugin/theme.
Your WordPress product page should mimic that money-back guarantee.
This plugin syncs the money-back guarantee information for a plugin/theme.
This way you
- Don't have a mismatch in money-back guarantee information between your website and freemius.
- Can have a money-back guarantee per plugin/theme rather than have global guarantee.
Trust badge is important for your product page since you collect payments.
Freemius has established itself as a credible brand in the WordPress ecosystem.
Having a secure badge adds comfort to your customer to make a buy decision.
Freemius has a great events & webhooks system.
For every event, freemius triggers a webhook.
To consume webhooks need to setup webhook listeners in the freemius backend.
This plugin creates a webhook listener per plugin/theme
I will be creating add-ons that will use these webhooks